Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes
- 4-6 baking potatoes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (roughly 1/2 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
- 3/4 cup tomato paste (one 6-ounce can)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (carrots, peas, corn, and green beans)
- 1 cup (about 4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake the potatoes in a 400°F oven for about an hour or until they can be pierced easily with a fork. Or you can cook in the microwave for about 10 minutes, rotating after five minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat, add the ground beef, onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up the meat, until it is browned. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth.
- Add the vegetables, bring to a simmer, and cook until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut a slit down the length of one potato then another one perpendicular to make an “x”. Squeeze the sides of the potato to open it up and place in a glass baking dish. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Spoon the filling into the potatoes and top with shredded cheese.
- Return to a 400°F oven for about 5 minutes, or place under the broiler for 2 or 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.