If you are looking for a tropical dessert to celebrate the few remaining days of summer, look no further than this Pina Colada Poke Cake. This cake is absolutely made for summer time.
This recipe uses a cake mix so it’s super quick and easy to throw together. I add some crushed pineapple to the cake mix plus I spread more pineapple on top of the baked cake.
- 1 (16.5-ounce) box French Vanilla Cake mix or yellow cake mix
- 2 (8-ounce) cans crushed pineapple, undrained
- ingredients needed for cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 (14-ounce) can cream of coconut, not coconut milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (16-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, defrosted
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- 1 (8-ounce) package sweetened shredded coconut
- maraschino cherries
- Spray either a 13X9-inch or slightly smaller baking pan with cooking spray with flour. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cake batter according to package directions, except reduce water by 1/4 cup and add 1 can undrained crushed pineapple and 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract. Save the second can of pineapple.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 26-29 minutes for 13×9-inch pan and 30 -35 minutes for 11X7-inch pan.
- Let cool completely. Poke holes all along top of cake.
- Stir together cream of coconut and sweetened condensed milk. Slowly pour on top of cake.
- Spread second can of pineapple on top of cake.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Spread Cool Whip on top. If using rum extract, gently fold it into the Cool Whip first.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Top with cherries.