Skip to content
- 1 pound sausage, crumbled
- 16 ounces (2 containers) cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dry marsala
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, plus extra for serving
- Bring a large pot filled with water to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons salt and penne pasta. Cook according to the directions on the box. In the meantime, follow the directions below.
- Remove the sausage from the casing.
- Add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive to a large fry pan, on medium heat.
- Brown the sausage (about 8-10 minutes) and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- In the same pan, add the sliced mushrooms, minced garlic and chopped rosemary, one tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and two tablespoons butter.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms start to brown. Stir constantly so the garlic does not burn.
- Add the marsala wine. Raise to medium high heat. Cook for about 10-12 minutes until the liquid bubbles and start to reduce a little.
- Reduce the heat back to medium. Add the heavy cream and stir until combined. Continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup pasta water. Drain the pasta when it is done.
- Add the sausage, cooked penne pasta, and 1 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, and combine.
- If needed, add some of the reserved pasta water.
- Top with extra grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.