Soon the kids will be on their summer holidays, so I am trying to come up with more recipes for on the go when we are on days out that I can pack up into a picnic. Finger foods always work best and these little bites are delicious. You could add some other veg or even some other protein into these too to mix them up a bit.
1 cup (240ml) of couscous
1 cup (240ml) of hot chicken or vegetable stock
60g/2oz cheddar, grated
30g/1oz of parmesan, grated
- for the sauce
- 4 large vine tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs of mixed herbs
- 1 splash of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- spray oil
- salt and black pepper
- Add the couscous to a saucepan, cover with the 1 cup of hot chicken or vegetble stock, stir, add leave and leave for 5 mins.
- Preheat oven to 200c, 400f (gas mark 6)
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil
- Add the onion and garlic and fry till softened
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until they start to break down into a sauce.
- Add the mixed herbs, tomato paste, splash of balsamic and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add lid and simmer for 30 mins, until sauce reduces down and thicken
- Fluff up the couscous with fork, add half of the tomato sauce and mix. Stir in the the cheddar and Parmesan.
- With hands work all the mixture together and form into 15 mini bites. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment and spray over the top with spray oil, bake in the oven for 30 mins until lightly golden.
- While the bites are cooking in the oven, add the remainder of the sauce to a blender and blend till smooth. (or you can leave it chunky for a more rustic sauce)
- Serve the bites with the sauce on the side. The sauce is delicious hot or cold with these bites.
Source>>CHEESY COUSCOUS BITES WITH TOMATO DIP@slimmingeats.com