Homemade 5-Ingredient Cannolis are super easy and so impressive!
- 8 cannoli shells, homemade or store bought will work
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- Place the ricotta cheese in a fine mesh strainer and place it in the fridge to drain for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours.
- When you’re ready to make the filling:
- In a large bowl combine the drained ricotta cheese, confectioners’ sugar, 1/4 cup of the mini chocolate chips, vanilla extract, and orange zest (if using); mix well. Using a spatula, carefully scrape the mixture into pastry bag fitted with 1/2 inch tip. Use at once or refrigerate until needed; filling can be made up to 24 hours in advance. When ready to serve, pipe the filling into one end of cannoli shell, filling shell halfway, then pipe into other end. Repeat with remaining shells. Lightly dust with confectioner’s sugar, sprinkle the ends with remaining mini chocolate chips, and serve at once.
The filling may be made and stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Once the cannoli shells have been filling, serve them right away. Cannolis are best eaten the day they are made.