Those of us that are of a certain age will probably remember being served this as a dessert for school dinners. Looking back it probably wasn’t the healthiest of times! This 1 Syn A Slice Jam And Coconut Sponge will bring back all those memories, but thankfully not all of the calories and that inevitable sugar rush.
As you will probably know Slimming World have brought out some new recommendations regarding the syn value of granulated sweeteners. Slimming World have confirmed what this change means.
Where there is 1 tbsp or more being used per serving they recommend members count 0.5 Syn per tbsp. If using smaller amounts, like a pinch or teaspoon, there’s no need to worry about Syns at all.
The recipe for this 1 Syn A Slice Jam And Coconut Sponge uses 2 tablespoons of sweetener and is divided into 15 portions. That’s way less than half a tablespoon per portion, so there’s no need to add any syns on for the sweetener itself.
You can enjoy this with a cup of tea, or as a pudding, warmed with some low fat custard (just remember to count the syns!) or some Vanilla or Banana & Custard Muller Light.
One thing to point out when making this 1 Syn A Slice Jam And Coconut Sponge it’s important to make sure you fold in the egg whites gently. If you don’t you may not get the right consistency, and it may turn out ‘eggy’.
If the flour and egg yolk mixture is a little stiff after adding the 2 tbsp of water then you can add a bit more water just to make folding the egg whites in a little easier. Just remember, the egg whites must be stiff after whisking (you should be able to hold the bowl upside down over your head without getting egg on your face!)
Finally, you don’t have to cut this into 15 pieces. You can cut this into as many slices as you want but don’t forget to adjust the syn value accordingly!
- 50 g Sukrin Coconut Flour 7 syns
- 6 large Eggs Separated
- 2 tbsp Sukrin 1 or regular sweetener
- 1 tsp Coconut essence if you can get it
- 1/2-1 tsp Baking Powder 1/2 a syn
- 3 tbsp Reduced Sugar Raspberry Jam 3 syns
- 15 g Desiccated Coconut 4 1/2 Syns
- 2 tbsp Water
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the egg yolks, sweetener, essence and 2tbs of water
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and gently fold into the mixture
- Pour into a square 7/8inch lined cake tin and bake in a preheated oven 180°C for 35mins
- Once cooled spread over your jam and sprinkle with coconut. Enjoy!